KILBURN PICTURE PALACE
254-256 Belsize Road, London NW6
Built in 1888 and known as the Kilburn Town Hall (though it was not a civic building) it became the Kilburn Theatre Royal. In 1909 it opened as a 514-seater cinema theatre under the splendid name of the Kilburn Picture Palace and Theatre of Varieties, showing films supported by live variety acts. In 1910 and 1916 various alterations were made to the theatre, now known simply as the Kilburn Picture Palace, and the seating capacity was increased to 1775. The proprietor was Joseph Clavering. Admission charges ranged from 5d (2p) to 2s 6d (12½p) and the programme was changed twice a week. United Picture Theatre Ltd. took over the cinema in 1928 and Gaumont British Pictures in turn acquired it in 1930. The cinema converted to talkies in the 1930s but closed in 1940, becoming derelict by the end of the war. After an unsuccessful attempt was made to reopen it as a cinema, the building became a function hall. In 1953 it became Shannons Night Club. It is now a commercial building.
Top of page