Designed by H. Courtenay Constantine, with a tower similar to those in the cinemas he designed at Islington and Kings Cross. Seating 2150, it had stalls and a circle, complete with 6 private boxes served both by lift and by a staircase from ground level.
The Tower Cinema had a Norman & Beard 2Manual organ, with a 14-foot deep stage to accommodate live performances. It was owned by the Peckham Property Company who in 1917 took over the Peckham Cinematograph Theatre at 164-166 Rye Lane and renamed it the Tower Annexe Cinema. Both cinemas were taken over by Provincial Cinema Theatres (part of the Gaumont British Theatres Corporation) in 1926.
Despite modernisation in 1955 the cinema was closed in 1956. The entrance and auditorium were demolished and turned into a passageway through to an open space and car park behind. The tower remains and looks as though it has been refurbished in recent times (2010 photograph above).
With acknowledgments to Ken Roe of the Cinema Theatre Association